Please stay safe today! I am copying a list of warming centers from the Post Gazette (altering wording so I do not break copyright laws) and posting it here FREE for anyone who needs it.
By the way, leaving your dog (or pet) out in the cold for longer than 30 minutes is illegal in Pennsylvania. Be considerate of Fido, please!
Here are the city warming center locations:
● Greenfield, 745 Greenfield Ave.
● Homewood, 7321 Frankstown Ave.
● Sheraden, 720 Sherwood Ave.
● South Side, 12th & Bingham St.
These are the emergency shelter locations:
● Downtown Low Barrier Shelter, Smithfield United Church of Christ, 620 Smithfield St. It will have extended hours this week only from 6 p.m. – 8 a.m. Monday-Friday, and 6 p.m. – 10 a.m. Saturday and Sunday.
● Catholic Charities Day/Warming Program, 212 Ninth St., regular hours 7:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m., Monday-Saturday.
● Wellspring Drop In Center, 903 Watson St., regular hours 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Catholic Charities Winter Warming Station (Wednesday through Friday), open from 7am to 7pm, at 212 Ninth Street in Downtown Pittsburgh.
Light of Life Rescue Mission, in the North Side, will open and distributing hats, gloves and hand warmers to those that need them, plus warm food and drink. The mission’s warming gate and chapel will be open from 8 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Smithfield United Church of Christ, 620 Smithfield Street, will be open from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. to provide temporary, overnight accommodations, professional social services, and medical care. The Winter Shelter, a low-barrier shelter serving both men and women, is open every night, including weekends and holidays, from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. regardless of the temperature through March 15, 2019.
East End Cooperative Ministry, at 6140 Station Street in East Liberty, is open to anyone from 8am to 6pm. Hot lunches served from 12:15 p.m. to 1:15 p.m., and warm drinks any time. Donations are welcomed, but not required.
Port Authority will be running as usual. That means both buses and the Light Rail. I’m not sure about the Monogahala Incline. Don’t go skiing today or skating. It is not safe supposedly, but I remember going skiing in temps well below zero, like ten below…and I’m not dead.
Please please please stay warm. If you drink booze or get high be extra careful that you do not do anything unwise. Stay inside and don’t drive or act foolhardy.