this is my theory of psychiatry and most of medicine:
1. The doctor and medical institution does whatever is in their best interest financially, including diagnosing the patient.
2. In the process, the goal is to maintain as many patients on the patient roster as possible, “keeping the numbers up” rather than curing inductees.
3. In the process, patients may be harmed by the procedures or “treatments.”
4. After medical harm, re-diagnosis to a more complex or more severe diagnosis, or add a diagnosis, and send patient to a higher level of “care” or more intensive or restrictive “care.” This may harm further. Repeat.
5. In the event of inevitable patient death, blame the patient’s condition, which you have already given to cover your ass.
Originally posted as a response on MadinAmerica.com, in case you are curious.