Here are some ideas from a pro who has spent the past 10 Christmases alone, and most of the past 30 decades of Christmases entirely alone, and certainly NOT surrounded by “loving family.” Let’s face it, not everyone’s family sticks around. Might as well have a blast!
1. First of all, God bless our pets. Give them something special today. At least we have them, right? They’ve stuck around even when no one else has. Puzzle had a super nice meal and the weather is terrific. A bit cold but we enjoyed our walk and we cuddled some, too.
2. Do some cleaning chore you’ve been putting off forever. Today I got together all those miscellaneous extra charge cords that are scattered all over the place. I told myself, “This won’t do!” So I totally organized them. I put all my small electronic knick-knacks into one place and labeled everything so that it could be easily found. Now, next time I ask myself, “Where the heck is that___?”….I can find it.
3. Update whatever. Your antiviral, or your phone, or whatever gadget or version or whatever you’ve been putting off, if you’re a gadget or techno person. Today I followed my phone’s instructions to a T, and successfully updated my phone. I am so happy that I did this right. I’ve been putting this off for weeks.
4. Get rid of that pile of junk that’s been sitting around forever. So for me, it’s that pile of junk mail that’s accumulated. I don’t throw it out cuz I recycle. So it sits here waiting for me to carry it off to the recycling bins. I am going to be very happy when this task is done.
5. Laundry. Problem is, everyone else has the same idea. All the other lonely people are at that one open laundromat today. Go meet the love of your life!